Involve your school
World Orphan Week is a wonderful opportunity for pre school, primary and secondary schools to develop international links and partnerships to give children understanding and respect for other cultures.
- Hold a ‘WOW-factor’ talent show, based on the X-factor TV programme
- Have a non-uniform day/wear national dress/tribal costumes
- Hold an art exhibition – parents encouraged to buy artwork
- Hold a coffee morning with WOW decorated cookies and cakes
- Do a sponsored skip, spell, or penalty shoot-out
- Take part in a virtual challenge – climb the equivalent of Mt Kilimanjaro up the school stairs, or ‘Walk the Wall of China’ by doing circuits of the playground, ‘Swim across Lake Malawi’ by doing laps of the local pool! It’s possible with the combined efforts of teachers and pupils!
- Have an SOS collection box in the school library for book fines
- Do a lunchtime carwash
- Hold a film screening during lunch or after school – dress up and have refreshments and a raffle.
- Have a themed day – e.g. choose country and western: wear cow boy hats, listen to Johnny Cash and hold a barn dance
- Organise a sports event/competition
- Organise a WOW balloon launch
Or think of another great idea and let us know about it – we’d love to hear from you!
WOW teaching resources are full of interesting facts, recipes, quizzes, maps and flags. Use them for a PSHE or Geography lesson. Base a display board around the information and see what else you can discover about these countries by searching on SOS Children’s Wikipedia link.
If your school raises £275 or more, this will allow a child to go to school for one year in a country where the need is the greatest.
We have a schools fundraising pack available which available to download online.
WOW Schools fundraising pack:
Why not get the whole school involved by holding a WOW assembly – our WOW power point presentation can bring the WOW factor to your fundraising and inspire staff and pupils to get on board.
See how your money could give a future to children in need:
- Less than 66p a day helps to support a child in an SOS Children’s Village.
- £8 buys a child a pair of shoes
- £40 buys a school uniform
- £40 feeds one child for a month in an SOS Village in Cambodia
- £725 runs a family house for 1 month
- £2,600 pays the salary of one teacher for 1 year in Cambodia
- £6,500 pays for food for 1 year for a family of four people in Ecuador
If you would like to receive a WOW pack to use in your school, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01223 365589 to speak to the WOW team. Otherwise complete the registration form now.